Monday, March 18, 2013

Cynar cocktails

I'm using Pinterest to track cocktails and Elizabeth Minchilli started me off with a version of the Negroni using Cynar instead Campari as a bitter. I'd always been curious about Cynar, an artichoke-based aperitif from Italy, and liked this version of the Negroni, which Minchilli calls a Cyn Cin (pronounced chin-chin), quite a bit.

So then Serious Eats had a cocktail slide show featuring specialties of select bars and included two other cocktails with Cynar. One was called a Berlinetta, from the bar of the same name, and is essentially a Manhattan, adding Cynar to the mix. No proportions were given, but the version I tried over the weekend worked: 1-1/2 oz. Old Overholt Rye, 1-1/2 oz. Four Roses Yellow Label bourbon (couldn't find so used Buffalo Trace), 1/2 oz. Cynar, 1/2 oz. Carpano Antico sweet vermouth, couple dashes Fee Brothers orange bitters (used the Regan's I had on hand).

It's a nice smooth drink and I liked it. I was intrigued by the Carpano vermouth, which is apparently the "in" vermouth to use, and will try it in other cocktails.

The second Cynar drink was called Cloak and Dagger, which is a name used for other cocktails as well. This one called for Calle 23 tequila reposado (couldn't find so got Espolon), Cynar and Rothman & Winters Orchard Apricot liqueur (another new thing for me). I had less luck with my experiments here. I tried it at first with 2 oz. of tequila and 1/2 oz. each of the mixers, but that tasted too much of tequila. When I upped it to 1 oz. each for the mixers, it was too sweet. I may experiment further but I'm tempted to conclude it's just not a great drink.

I've been toying with the idea of a "mixology club" like a book club, with members taking turns hosting and offering cocktails around a theme or ingredient. I could start it off with a flight of these three Cynar cocktails.

No comments:

Post a Comment